Sunday, 5 June 2011
The World's Biggest Hexagon Quilt
I came across mention of this recently and it absolutely fascinated me! I've just finished reading up on it and thought I just must share!
This record breaking quilt was made back in 2010 in Australia using contributed hexagon flowers from all over the world.
Some facts about the quilt:
* The completed quilt ended up being 108.8 metres long or 357 feet.
* It contained 152 636 1 inch (length of each side)hexagons
* It Weighed 146.7 kilograms or 321 pounds.
* The machine quilting used 17 358 metres of Bottom Thread and 26 240 metres of top thread.
* It took approximately 160 hours to quilt and bind.
* Lyn started quilting the first section on 5th January and quilted 20 sections in total, the largest was 7.5metres or 24.6 feet long.
* The last section was pieced to the quilt 4 hours before judging.
Following display it was cut into 115 smaller quilts and donated to nursing homes and elderly care homes:
Want to read more? World's Biggest Hexagon Quilt