Saturday 23 October 2010

Gingerbread men

I had my first attempt at making gingerbread men. I used the recipe my friend Helen sent me:

500g plain flour
pinch of salt
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon mixed spice
2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
125g butter
60g light soft brown sugar
60g caster sugar
150g golden syrup
60g golden syrup
1 egg, beaten

Preheat oven to 180C/Gas 4.
Butter several baking sheets. Sift dry ingredients into a bowl and make a
well in centre
Put butter, sugars and syrups into a saucepan and stir over moderate heat
until melted. Pour into flour. Add egg and mix to form a dough. On a
floured surface, knead lightly until smooth. Roll out to 0.3cm thick.
Using a gingerbread man cutter, cut out as many shapes as possible from
dough. Place on baking sheets. Re-knead and re-roll trimmings until all
dough used.

Bake for 20 mins until lightly browned. Allow to cool for a few minutes on
baking sheets then remove to wire racks to cool completely. Traditionally,
gingerbread men are left plain, but can be decorated.

I made them slightly thicker than the recipe suggested and found that 20mins was perfect for the giant gingerbread men but small ones only needed about 15 mins. I don't like gingerbread so it was up to hubby to taste test them and he says they are delicious so looks like they'll be going on the list for baking for Christmas fayre + christmas gifts.
Just got to wait for them to cool so I can decorate them.
------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

Come on readers show me some bloggy love!!!