Wednesday 8 May 2013

sewing machine seam guides DIY

I've tried many different types of sewing machine seam guides.

 I've tried a magnetic one 
But my machine is plastic and the metal plate isn't big enough

I tried using masking tape
But it curls up and there is no substance to it to keep the fabric straight

I've tried a foot with a built in seam guide 
But I just can't seem to get the hang of it 

I just couldn't find the one that worked for me. 

Then one day during quilt can Bonnie Hunter mentioned the technique she uses. She uses a thick piece of plastic like a hotel key card or a shop loyalty card and attaches it with these 



They are made by scotch and are easy to reposition with no damage to the surface. This pack contained 18 1x1 inch squares and I used one square cut in half for my seam guide so it's not expensive. Plus I can think of 100 other uses for the rest! 


And this plastic card that my new phone sim card came in is perfect! 

The sticky tabs make it really easy to take off the guide for things like quilting that don't need the guide and also to remove the front of my machine to access my front loading bobbin. It is thick enough that it creates a nice edge to butt your fabric up against and extends beyond the presser foot to keep fabric straight as it comes out too. I'm really pleased with it. One of the cheapest solutions but definitely one of the best! 



1 comment:

  1. Hello Leigh, My name is Cheryl and I am your covert robin swap buddy. I am so sorry that you have not received your gift yet. I have talked to Clara and have decided to make you another gift and send it. I'm aiming to finish this week and get it out by next. The post warned me it would take a while because i sent it the cheapest way possible - which is what I will do again so it may not get there for several weeks.
    I didn't have a tracker on the original so I have no idea what happened to it. In the meantime you can see on my blog what I sent you... http://cherylam.blogspot.ca/2013/04/a-covert-robin.html
    cheryl

    ReplyDelete

Come on readers show me some bloggy love!!!