Tuesday 17 April 2012

Envelope system

I read the Dave Ramsey book a few years ago




http://www.daveramsey.com and we stuck to the cash only envelope system for a while but I couldn't quite find a way to make it easy to maintain. With our income having dropped lately we thought it was time to give it another go.
I tried searching for ideas to make the envelope system easier. As the system originated in america they often use paper envelopes as they don't have as many coins as us.












We had used paper envelopes but they break and loose change falls out. I knew I'd need enclosed pockets and I wanted something we could use that kept everything together. I also knew that sewing 10 pockets for my handbag plus 12 for at home was going to get costly and time consuming by the time I bought zips. There had to be a better way!
I came across a few pins on Pinterest where organisers had been made for toiletries etc using zip lock food bags and this looked like it would be perfect.
It's quite simple to make you just sew as many bags together as you need then make a cover. There are a few tutorials out there and mine was mostly based on this tutorial except I made my
Own cover rather than using a pot holder:
http://www.howdoesshe.com/kids-travel-pack
So here is my version.
Here it is closed. It's made from this gorgeous fabric I'd been saving for a special project (I think it's Amy butler) and has a strap with Velcro closure.




And here it is open:




The pockets are all labelled with my trusty sharpie and ready to put into use.
Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Come on readers show me some bloggy love!!!