Wednesday 11 January 2012

Parent and child apron sets

An old school friend asked me to make some aprons for her to give as Christmas presents. She gave me free reign with how to make them just to make a set of father and son ones with their names on and a set of grandmother and grand-daughter ones again with their names on. She said she'd trust me to make them however I wanted but suggested I "do something fancy with appliqué or something"

You all know how much I love making something new so I looked forward to making these.

Here is the finished product:



I designed and hand cut a little appliqué design of a father and son holding hands and the lettering is heat set vinyl cut on my cricut. I made them from a plain beige linen and then handmade bias binding from a lively and bright striped fabric. The neck straps are made from the same and the little boy apron has an adjustable strap with Velcro to give freedom to grow with him. A finishing touch of a pocket in the same striped fabric adds a splash of colour and finishes them off perfectly.

Here is the adult one modelled on Lizzie my tailors dummy:



And here is a close up of the appliqué design and the lettering on the little boy one:



Here is the finished set of the grandmother and granddaughter ones:


They are made out of a gorgeous Cath Kidston floral fabric. The ladies one has one ruffle along the bottom and the girls one has two ruffles. They have the names in silver heat set vinyl and little heart buttons as dots over the i's.

Here is the grandmother one again modelled by Lizzie (is it strange my tailors dummy has a name??)



I'm really pleased at how they turned out. What do you think?

Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Come on readers show me some bloggy love!!!