Thursday 24 March 2011

TUTORIAL - Easy ceramic coasters

I've made a couple of sets of these lately and they are proving very popular! They are cheap and easy to make and quite quick too (drying time is the only pain).
I didn't take step by step pictures because they really are easy!






1. Buy plain ceramic tiles from your local tile shop. They are normally sold in boxes of 100 but my local shop are quite happy to sell in whatever quantity you like. I buy 4inch square tiles and they are about 15p each.
2. Choose your paper (I think they will work with fabric too but I haven't tried them yet) I use pretty scrapbook paper that came free with magazines so it is technically free. I have done it in the past with photos for gifts too.
3. Cut your paper to 3 and 3/4 inches square.
4. Apply a layer of mod podge to the top of the tile and stick the paper down. press it well. leave to dry.
5. Apply a layer of mod podge to the top of the paper (I prefer to use a foam brush) leave to dry. Repeat until there are 4 coats. You could probably get away with 2 coats but I prefer to air on the side of caution.
6. Take a sheet of felt and some foam sticky pads. Peel one side of the foam pads off and stick to the felt. Cut around the pads so the felt is the same size as the pads. Peel off the backing and stick one to each corner of the base of the tile. These work in 2 ways: they provide an anti slip base and stop the tiles from scratching the surface they are placed on.

That's it! easy or what?
If you make them please do link back to my tutorial as I'd live to see what you make!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Come on readers show me some bloggy love!!!