Wednesday 9 March 2011

Thomas Tank Engine Toy bag

While sorting out the fabric in my craft room I came across a set of 41 2.5 inch Thomas squares that I had bought on ebay ages ago. I decided to sew them together and see how big the finished piece was before I decided what to make. Once they were all sewn together I knew exactly what to make!
Despite having a variety of rucksacks etc when grabbing some toys for going out Sam will usually grab one of my fabric shopping bags from my handbag:

I think it's because he doesn't have to deal with zips and things that way. But as you can see my bags are pink (this is me after all!!!) So not ideal for a 4 year old boy. So instead I made him this:
It was really straightforward to make. The front side is the Thomas patchwork which I sewed right sides together with a piece of blue cotton then turned to enclose all the messy seams and the back is a plain piece of the blue cotton. I had the green plastic strapping in a drawer left bought for a previous project but never used and as Sam's favourite colour is green it seemed the perfect choice.
I added 2 short handles for carrying and also a long shoulder strap for carrying cross body on Sam or on shoulder for me. Then it is just some simple velcro at the top to stop things easily falling out if it gets tipped over in the car.
He's over the moon with it and it's been everywhere with him for the last day! a perfect remedy for cheering him up too seen as he seems to have caught my virus - look at the rash on his face and arms bless him!



My Favourite Linky Parties:
Tidy Mom I'm Lovin It Fridays
Keeping ItSimpleMakingBWS tips buttonPhotobucketPink Hippo Partygiveaways


A Crafty Soiree

1 comment:

  1. Great bag - I can see why your son likes it so much! (better than pink for him!)

    Just stopped by to let you know I passed on a blog award to you!
    Come on over to my blog's creative space today (thurs 10th) to receive it!

    Also wanted to let you know I have a weekly 'round tuit' linky party on a Monday! You're welcome to link up your projects there too!

    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Come on readers show me some bloggy love!!!