Monday 18 October 2010

Fabric baskets

Spent the evening cutting out the pieces for some fabric baskets. I got my inspiration from last month's sew hip magazine and the fabric easter basket from www.favecrafts.com but as usual I adapted things and changed sizings.
I'm making 2 different sizes one is 22 cm in diameter (I drew round a pasta dish) and the other is 35 cm in diameter (I drew round a tray). Two will be part of my niece's birthday present the bigger one with pink gingham outside and plain pink inside for toiletries and the smaller one with plain pink on the outside and pink gingham on the inside for make up.
Then there will be a set of 2 for our house both with floral fabric on the outside and pink inside. The bigger one will live at the bottom of our stairs as a place for me to put things waiting to go up (I try and limit how many times I go up and down the stairs as it causes significant pain) and the smaller one for by the side of the sofa for my bits and pieces.
The last one which you can see in the photograph is for my son to carry his toys up to his bedroom when he tidies up.
I cut the fabric out tonight:
* 2 cirles - one from the outer fabric and one from the lining fabric
* 2 long rectangles the circumference of the circle - one from the outer fabric and one from the lining fabric (for those of you unsure how to calculate this its a simple sum of the diameter of the circle x 3.142)
* 2 long thin rectangles for the handle - one from the outer fabric and one from the lining fabric.
Tomorrow's job will be cutting out the wadding: one of each of the 3 shapes. Then to try and assemble them. I'll keep you updated on their progress.
------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

Come on readers show me some bloggy love!!!